Privacy and Cookies Notice
LAST UPDATED: 4 January, 2023
NOTE: The Privacy Notice has been updated. Please review the updated Privacy Notice carefully before using the Services.
This Notice explains how we collect, use, and disclose information about users who interact with our websites, applications, our content on connected televisions, or other interactive services that link to or reference this Privacy Notice (“Services”). This Notice does not apply to our collection of information from other features, services, or sources (unless specifically stated), or to third parties that provide information to Discovery.
By accessing and using the Services, you agree to our collection and use of your information in the manner described in this Notice. If you disagree with the terms of this Notice, you should not use the Services.
This Notice explains:
- GEOGRAPHIC SCOPE OF THE NOTICE
- TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM OR ABOUT YOU
- HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- WHEN WE DISCLOSE INFORMATION
- CHOICES YOU HAVE REGARDING THE COLLECTION, USE, AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
- YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
- ADDITIONAL PRIVACY INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
- ADDITIONAL PRIVACY INFORMATION FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
- HOW WE PROTECT CHILDREN’S INFORMATION
- HOW WE MAINTAIN AND SECURE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- THIRD-PARTY SITES, SERVICES, AND FEATURES
- GOVERNING LAW AND VENUE
- UPDATES TO THE NOTICE
- HOW YOU CAN CONTACT US
1. GEOGRAPHIC SCOPE OF THE NOTICE
The Services are operated in the United States and are intended for users located in the United States. The Services are therefore governed by and operated in accordance with the laws of the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Services will be collected in the United States and/or transferred to the United States and will be subject to U.S. law.
By using the Services and/or providing us with information, you (a) consent to the transfer and/or processing of any information to and in the United States, (b) acknowledge that U.S. law may provide a lower standard of protection for information than the laws of your location, (c) understand that we will collect, transfer, store, process and disclose your information from or about you in accordance with this Notice and U.S. law.
2. TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM OR ABOUT YOU
When you interact with the Services, we collect information that directly identifies you (i.e., information that would allow someone to identify you or contact you, such as your full name, postal address, e-mail address, or telephone number), as well as information about your use of the Services. Below we describe the different types of information we collect from you and the devices you use when you interact with the Services.
Information you provide to us: Some of the Services may permit you to enter contact information and other information about yourself and others. We collect and store any information you enter through the Services. For example, you may provide:
- your name, postal address, e-mail address, phone number, profile picture, year of birth, or other information, such as when you register with our Services, create or edit your user profile, sign up to receive newsletters, or enter in a contest or sweepstakes;
- certain demographic information, such as your age, gender, or income bracket, when you participate in a survey or poll;
- videos which include your swing data (such as ball speed, launch angle, launch direction, clubhead speed, and carry distance) that you upload to our Services for swing analysis by your golf instructor via Coach Connect or your own edification. We may request access to the camera of your device to record your swings;
- your communications and video/audio files disclosed through messages to your golf instructor/student through Coach Connect;
- your first and last name, your address, and your credit card and billing information if you purchase of a product at the Golf Digest Store or subscribe to one of Discovery’s paid Services;
- your first and last name, postal address, date of birth, email address, phone number, number of residences, occupation, handicap index, GHIN number, golf club memberships, information about your interests and an application video files when you apply to become a Golf Digest Panelist; or
- your e-mail address, communications, and files when you send to us a message by e-mail, through our Customer Support portal, Customer Support chat bots, or through other communication services. We may use third party service providers and/or third-party software to record text chat to help address customer service inquiries.
Information from Social Media Networks and Other Third Parties: When you use certain features of the Services, you may give us permission to access information about you from services offered by third parties, including social media networks. For example, you may choose to register on our websites by using a social media account, or you may use a social media function on our Services such as a “disclose” button. Doing that allows us to obtain information from the social media platform. That information could include your friends or contacts, profile picture, birthdate, gender, people/sites you follow, or other profile-related information you include in your social media profile, consistent with your privacy settings on that social media account. The information we obtain from social media networks depends on your account/privacy settings with those third parties and those third-parties’ privacy policies, so be sure to check those policies and to adjust your settings to meet your preferences.
We may also obtain information about you from other third-party sources, such as our partners and advertisers, interactive applications offered through our services (such as embedded video players), and commercially available sources such as data aggregators and public databases. We may combine the information we receive from third parties with information we collect through the Services.
Location Information: We collect general information about your location through the Services, such as the city, state, and/or zip code or general location information associated with your IP Address. If you agree, we may collect more specific location information that is provided through the GPS functionality on your mobile device used to access the Services. That location information is used to present information and advertising that is of relevance to you in your geographic area and to allow you to take advantage of certain features of the Services. If you grant permission for us to collect more specific GPS location information, you can disable such access through your mobile device settings.
Information You Provide About Others: If you provide a referrer, refer someone or send someone else a communication using the Services, such as sending content to a friend, the information you provide (names, e-mail addresses, etc.) is used to facilitate the communication and is not used for any other marketing purpose unless we obtain consent from that person or we explicitly say otherwise in accordance with applicable legal requirements. Please be aware that when you use any send-to-a-friend functionality on our Services, your e-mail address may be included in the communication you send.
Camera: When you record your swings, we access your phone’s camera and/or pair your golf swing analysis device (MLM launch monitor) to our Services. We will not access your camera or golf swing analysis device without your consent. Your phone’s camera or golf swing analysis device will not be used or accessed for any other purpose. If you grant permission for us to access your phone’s camera or golf swing analysis device, you can disable such access through your device settings.
3. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use the information we collect to provide and improve the Services; to communicate with you; to deliver advertising; and to develop and provide additional products, features, and offerings, as explained in more detail below.
Provide the Services you request, including to maintain and service your account, for example to:
- Fulfill your requests for products, services, or information;
- Process your payments and ship your products;
- Enable your access to the Services and participation in special features of the Services, such as golf swing analysis, surveys, polls, and message boards;
- Provide technical and other support, including to understand and resolve technical issues with the Services;
- Send you service-related communications;
- Display user-generated content;
- Evaluate your application to become a Golf Digest Panelist; and
- Process your entries into sweepstakes, contests or promotions.
Communicate with you and provide customer service to support the Services, including to:
- Provide customer service support or respond to your inquiries, requests and comments;
- Send you electronic newsletters or enter you into sweepstakes or contests; and
- Provide you legal notices or other notices with respect the Services, including service-related communications.
Develop and improve the Services and personalize your experience with the Services, including to:
- Analyze patterns in the use of the Services, study site traffic, and understand customer needs and trends to improve our Services and develop new ones;
- Provide you with a customized product experience, including viewing and other content recommendations;
- Send you personalized newsletters, surveys, and information about products, services and promotions offered by us, our partners, and other organizations with which we work;
- Customize the content on the Services based on your activities and interests;
- Create profiles about you, including adding and combining information we obtain from third parties, which may be used for analytics, marketing and advertising; and
- Use inferences about your preferences and interests for any and all of the above purposes.
Provide our marketing and third-party advertising to you, including to:
- Send you newsletters, promotional e-mails, surveys, and information about products, services and promotions offered by us, our partners, and other organizations with which we work;
- Customize advertising that our third-party partners deliver on the Services (e.g., personalized third-party advertising);
- Create and update inferences about you and audience segments that can be used for targeted advertising and marketing on the Services, third party services and platforms, and mobile apps;
- Create profiles about you, including adding and combining information we obtain from third parties, which may be used for analytics, marketing, and advertising; and
- Measure the placement, frequency, efficacy, and compliance of advertising and ad impressions.
Security, Fraud, and Legal Compliance, including:
- Monitor prevent, and detect fraud, such as through verifying your identity;
- Combat spam or other malware or security risks;
- Monitor, enforce, and improve the security of our Services;
- Comply with any applicable procedures, laws, and regulations, subpoenas, governmental requests or legal process, or in connection with a legal investigation, if in our good faith opinion such is required or permitted by law; and
Please note that all of the information we collect about you may be combined together in order to facilitate all of the above purposes.
4. WHEN WE DISCLOSE INFORMATION
Third-party service providers: We engage third-party service providers to perform a variety of services and functions on our behalf, such as administering our promotions, marketing or promotional assistance, data analytics, online advertising, technology services and platforms, processing payments, customer support, including hosting chat services, or recording user interactions to assess usability of our Services, and other services.
The Discovery family of companies: We may disclose information about you within the family of Discovery companies, including our subsidiary and affiliated companies and joint venture partners, to provide and improve our products and services, as well as to provide you with information about products or services that may interest you.
Sweepstakes, contests & promotions: When you register or enter a promotion, sweepstakes, or contest through our Services, we may disclose the information you provide for such purposes to authorized third-party service providers (as described above), participating sponsors, and advertising partners. Further, by entering any promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that promotion, which may require you to take certain actions, including, except where prohibited by law, allowing Discovery and/or the sponsor(s) of the promotion to use and publicly release your name, voice, and/or likeness in advertising or marketing associated with the promotion. Please review the relevant promotion, sweepstakes, or contest rules for more information.
Business partners: We may disclose information with third parties with whom we have business relationships, such as our co-promotional partners, advertisers, ad networks, and data marketing services, for purposes such as offering products and services that may interest you.
Business transfer: In the event we go through a business transition such as a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, reorganization, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, or a diligence process in connection with a potential business transaction, the information we collect and maintain may be disclosed, sold, or transferred as part of that transaction. If such transfer is subject to additional restrictions under applicable laws, we will comply with such restrictions.
License partners: We may disclose information about the use of our licensed Services with our license partners, such as swing analysis software providers, to enable product features and to enhance our licensed Services.
Legal requirements and protection of Services and users: We will disclose the information we collect where we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is: (a) required by law (or to respond to subpoenas, warrants, government requests, or similar process served on us); (b) pursuant to our DMCA notice and takedown policy and procedures; and/or (c) necessary to protect or defend our legal rights or property, our Services, you, or other third parties, or ensure the safety and security of our Services, systems, and of our customers or the general public.
Golf Digest Panelist Network: When you register to become a Golf Digest Panelist through our Services, we may disclose your contact information to other Golf Digest Panelists if you volunteer to mentor other panelists or when you choose to disclose your information for network opportunities within the Golf Digest Panelist forum.
With your consent: We may disclose information about you if you ask or authorize us to do so, including by intentionally interacting with third-parties on our sites. Additionally, when you choose to disclose information in a public forum, that information may be seen or collected by anyone, including third parties that do not adhere to our Privacy Notice. We are not responsible for events arising from the distribution of any information you choose to disclose publicly through our Services.
Aggregate information: We may aggregate and/or de-identify information such that it is no longer linked to you or your device. This Notice does not limit our ability to disclose aggregated or de-identified information that is not linked to you. We may use and disclose such information to our partners, advertisers, and any other third parties in our discretion.
5. CHOICES YOU HAVE REGARDING THE COLLECTION, USE, AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
You have many choices regarding how we use and disclose your information. These choices are described in more detail below.
Subscription and Registration Services: The Services may include subscription and registration management tools that allow you to make changes regarding your preferences for receiving communications. Regardless of whether these tools are available through the Services, you may contact us as at email@example.com if you: (a) have questions or comments about this Notice; (b) wish to make corrections to the information you have provided to us; (c) want to opt-out from receiving future commercial correspondence, including e-mails, from us (we may continue to send you transactional messages such as responding to your inquiries or notices of updates to this Notice); or (d) do not want us to disclose information that identifies you to third parties for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
We will respond to your request and, if applicable and appropriate, make the requested change in our active databases as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note:
- you may be required to verify your identity to make certain changes;
- we may not be able to fulfill certain requests while allowing you access to certain benefits and features of our Services;
- it is not always possible to completely change, remove, or delete all information about you from our databases for legal and other reasons; and
- we generally do not remove public postings you may have made on the Services, such as in forums or blogs.
E-mail communications: In connection with certain features on the Services, we may allow you to set your preferences for receiving e-mail communications from us (such as agreeing to some communications but not others). In other instances, you may “opt out” of receiving future commercial e-mail communications from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” link or following the other instructions included at the bottom of most e-mails we send, provided, however, we reserve the right to continue to send you transactional e-mails, such as customer service communications and shipping confirmations.
Mobile device location information: If you access the Services through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with specific, GPS location-tracking information, either do not agree to allow your device to disclose this information with us or disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device. Your device manufacturer should provide instructions on how to disable GPS or other location-tracking functions. If you initially consent to the collection of location information, you can subsequently stop our collection of location information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device or by uninstalling the application from your mobile device.
6. YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
Depending on your state of residence, applicable law may allow you to make certain requests about your “personal information” or “personal data” (as such terms are defined under applicable law, and collectively referred to herein as “personal information”). Specifically, you may be permitted to request us to:
- Inform you about the categories of personal information we collect or disclose about you; the categories of sources of such information, the business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information, and the categories of third parties with whom we disclose personal information;
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain personal information we hold about you;
- Delete certain personal information we have about you;
- Opt out of the sale of your personal information;
- Opt out of the processing of your personal information for targeted advertising purposes;
- Request correction of your personal information; and
- Provide you with information about the financial incentives that we offer to you, if any.
Please note that certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. For example, we need certain information in order to provide the Services to you.
Verification: We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before responding to a request, which may include, at a minimum, depending on the sensitivity of the information you are requesting and the type of request you are making, verifying your name, e-mail address, and physical address.
You may also be permitted to designate an authorized agent to submit certain requests on your behalf. In order for an authorized agent to be verified, you must provide the authorized agent with signed, written permission to make such requests or a power of attorney. We may also follow up with you to verify your identity before processing the authorized agent’s request. If we deny your request in whole or in part, you may have the right to appeal the decision. In such circumstances, we will provide you with information regarding the appeals process.
How to Exercise these Rights: If you would like further information regarding your legal rights under applicable law or would like to exercise them, please follow the instructions below.
- Right to Know, Access, Correction and Deletion Requests: to submit these requests, please click here to use our intake form, or, if you prefer, you may contact us at the following toll-free phone number to make your request: +1-866-324-3637. Please note that we may require you to provide appropriate documentation to support your correction request, which we will use only for purposes of actioning your request.
- Opt Out of “Sale” of Personal Information or Processing of Personal Information for “targeted advertising”: Depending on your jurisdiction of residence, you may have the ability to opt out of the “sale” of your personal information to third parties or the processing of your personal information for “targeted advertising” purposes (as such terms are defined under applicable law). Please click the link labeled “Do not Sell or Share My Personal Information” in the footer or settings menu of our Services to exercise these choices.
- Web browser cookies
- A cookie is a data file placed on a computer when it is used to visit the Golf Digest Services. Cookies generally contain information that is associated with your web browser, information such as website preferences, login information, or a user ID. This information enables online services to recognize you as you interact with or revisit the service.
- “First party cookies” are cookies that are set by the domain that you are visiting. When you visit the Golf Digest Website, we serve cookies set in that domain.
- “Session cookies” are stored for the duration of your visit.
- “Persistent cookies” continue to be stored after you leave the Services, and may be kept for weeks, or even years.
- Some of the cookies we use may be “flash” cookies. A flash cookie is a data file placed on a computer via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your computer. These cookies may not be deleted when your cookies are deleted or disabled. Please check your browser to determine where these types of cookies are stored and how they may be deleted or disabled.
- Tracking technologies
- The Golf Digest Services may contain web beacons/GIFs, pixels, page tags, embedded scripts and other tracking technologies. These technologies consist of small transparent image files or other web programming code that record how you interact with the Golf Digest Services. They are often used in conjunction with web browser cookies or other identifiers associated with your device.
- Device Identifiers
- We may collect your IP address or another unique identifier for the particular device you use to access the Internet or the Golf Digest Services. Mobile Advertising Identifiers We and our third-party service providers may receive an advertising identifier that is assigned to your device if you access the Golf Digest Services through a mobile app.
- Cross Device Tracking
- If you use different devices (such as your home computer, laptop, mobile device, connected television and/or other smart device) to access our Services, we may be able to associate you with each of your devices through deterministic (such as logging in to an account or service on multiple devices) or probabilistic (such as making reasonable inferences based on the collection of non-personal information about the devices you use) fingerprinting technologies.
- We use tracking technologies to count visitors to the Golf Digest Services, to monitor how users navigate the Services, to count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened or to count how many articles or links were actually viewed, and other analytic purposes.
Your Choices (Managing Cookies and How to Opt-Out). In many instances, you have choices about the information you provide and how we use your information. These choices, and any related consequences, are described in detail below.
- Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser setting to disable or reject cookies. If you delete your cookies or if you set your browser to decline cookies, some features of the Services may not work or may not work as designed.
- Targeted Ads on the Services
- Many of the third-party advertisers that place tracking tools on our Golf Digest Services are members of programs that offer you the ability to opt out of the use of information about your web browsing behavior for purposes of showing ads that are targeted to your interests. You can learn more about the choices offered by these companies by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance.
- Please note that opting-out of interest-based advertising by companies that participate in these programs does not mean that you will not receive advertising while using our Golf Digest Services or on other websites or online services, nor will it prevent the receipt of interest-based advertising from third parties that do not participate in these programs. In addition, opting out may still allow the collection of usage data for certain purposes (e.g., research, analytics and for internal online services operation purposes).
- If your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or DAA opt-out may not, or may no longer, be effective.
- Adobe Cross-Device Tracking
- We participate in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Device Co-op to better understand how you use our Services across the various devices you use, and to deliver tailored promotions. You can visit https://cross-device-privacy.adobe.com to learn more about how Adobe does this and to manage your choices relating to this linking of devices.
- Nielsen’s Digital Measurement Products
- Mobile Device Tracking
- You can opt out of the use of information about your mobile app usage by certain advertising companies through your device settings (“Limit Ad Tracking” on Apple devices and “Opt Out of Personalized Ads” on Android devices). To opt-out of behavioral tracking on mobile devices the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) also offers the DAA AppChoices Tool, available at https://www.aboutads.info/appchoices. Information on “limit ad tracking” settings on mobile devices is available on NAI’s Mobile Choices page at https://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choice.
- Connected TV Tracking
- You can opt out of the use of information about your Connected TV and TV streaming device usage by certain advertising companies through your device settings. You can learn more about the choices offered by your TV streaming devices by visiting https://www.networkadvertising.org/internet-connected-tv-choices/.
Notice Regarding Do Not Track Signals. Your browser or device may include “Do Not Track” functionality. How browsers communicate the Do Not Track signal is not yet uniform, so a standard technological response has not yet been developed by the policy and technological communities. For this reason, we do not respond to Do Not Track signals currently. Our information collection and disclosure practices, and the choices that we provide, will continue to operate as described in this Privacy and Cookies Notice, whether or not a Do Not Track signal is received.
8. ADDITIONAL PRIVACY INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
If you are a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with some additional information regarding the “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)) we collect from and about you, and your rights with respect to your personal information. You can find this additional information in our California Privacy Notice.
9. ADDITIONAL PRIVACY INFORMATION FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
Under Nevada law, Nevada residents who have purchased goods or services from us may opt out of the “sale” of “covered information” (as such terms are defined under Nevada law) for monetary consideration to a person for that person to license or sell such information to additional persons. In some circumstances, we may disclose your information to certain third parties that we believe can provide you with offers and promotions for products and services of interest to you. This disclosure may qualify as a sale under Nevada law. If you are a Nevada resident who has purchased goods or services from us, you may submit a request to opt out of “sales” activity emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity and the authenticity of the request.
10. HOW WE PROTECT CHILDREN’S INFORMATION
Discovery Services are generally directed to adults and not intended for use by children under the age of thirteen (13), we do not allow children to provide their “personal information” (as defined by the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act or “COPPA”) on these Services, and we will delete such information in a reasonable period of time if we become aware of it. In some limited cases, Discovery does offer Services that are intended for use by children under thirteen (13); please see the privacy notices posted on those services for more information. If you have any questions about our practices with respect to children’s privacy or to request that we delete personal information provided by your child, please contact us at email@example.com.
11. HOW WE MAINTAIN AND SECURE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We maintain the information we collect for as long as necessary to provide the Services, for so as long as reasonably required to satisfy the purpose for which you submitted the information or our business purposes, or as required by law.
We take technical, administrative and organizational security measures to protect your information against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure, or access. However, no method of transmission over the internet, and no means of electronic or physical storage, is absolutely secure. As such, you acknowledge and accept that we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to, through, or on our Services or via the Internet and that any such transmission is at your own risk.
If you create an account or register with any of our Services, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password at all times.
12. THIRD-PARTY SITES, SERVICES, AND FEATURES
13. GOVERNING LAW AND VENUE
13. UPDATES TO THE NOTICE
We may change this Notice from time to time as our services, technology, and legal obligations change. If we make changes, we will post the updated Notice and revise the “Last Updated” date. Any changes will be effective immediately upon posting of the revised Notice, and your continued use of the Services after that date will indicate your consent to any changes, unless applicable law requires us to provide another form of notice and/or seek your agreement to such changes.
14. HOW TO CONTACT US
For any questions or complaints regarding this Notice or Discovery privacy practices, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org